Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chirurgie
The German Society of Surgery (DGCH) with over 6,100 members was founded in Berlin in 1872. It is therefore one of the oldest medical-scientific specialist societies. The purpose of the society is the promotion of the scientific and practical interests of surgery.
About the German Society of Surgery
Progress in research and in the clinical setting (e.g.: operating room, treatment of In- and Outpatients) and its critical evaluation and implementation in countrywide provision is the main focus of DGCH. This includes the political, economic and social framework. Surgical training and development and also the promotion of young surgeons through awards, numerous prices and bursaries to young German and foreign scientists are further core tasks. Continuous effort is paid to maintaining international contacts and ties to neighbouring fields, to scientific organisations and all partners in the health care sector.
The annual congress of DGCH with a wide range of core and interdisciplinary sessions alternates annually between Berlin and Munich.
DGCH and its associated members represent more than 17,500 surgeons. This enables us to bundle and represent our common interests in a strong community.
One task already formulated when the society was founded in 1872, namely "to unite those who work in the field of surgery", is today of particular importance. According to current surgical training regulations with a common basic training element for all the surgical specialities (Common Trunk), we have now succeeded to unite all the pillars in the field of surgery (general surgery, vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, cardiac surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, thoracic surgery, trauma surgery / orthopaedic and visceral surgery) each with their own scientific specialist societies under the roof of DGCH. In 2007 the neuro-surgeons and in 2010 the oral-maxillofacial surgeons joined DGCH.
After long years of litigation, the Society finally regained in 2002 the ownership the Langenbeck-Virchow House in Berlin. Together with the Berlin Medical Society, this building was renovated and restored to its original appearance. This highly symbolic House of Surgery with its tradition-steeped lecture hall is the home of all scientific-surgical specialist societies and also the Professional Association of German Surgeons. It represents and symbolises the deep community of all surgeons.